Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Best American Poetry 2007


This is a clever collection of poetry gathered together by Heather McHugh and David Lehman. I mostly enjoyed it but must admit that some of these poems had me feeling very small and unsure if I knew what poetry was at all. But others took me to a place in the poets soul that I was glad I went to, wishing I could snap a few pictures like a bubbly tourist. Some of my favorite poems in this collection: Where He Found Himself by Stephen Dunn, Language Police Report by Denise Duhammel, What Every Soldier Should Know by Brian Turner, and The Home of the Brave by Joe Wenderoth. There were others that I enjoyed but too many to mention in my small paragraph here. Point being: they are all American and I see it as a beautiful collection of our varied differences, highlighting that year in history, taking us to a history not written in books but only written in that fleeting moment of time, shedding light on that passable soul of America. Even when I didn't understand the poem, I enjoyed it. So I highly recommend a pick up of this book. If only to get you out of your box.


jlw

No comments: