Saturday, November 29, 2008

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer


I want my own vampire, I have to admit that. This was an emotionally painful book though, but aren't all second books in a series? I guess I should have expected it. There was so much less of Edward and truly Bella doesn't hold as much interest for me which is mainly the fault of Robert Pattinson (the hotty that plays Edward on screen) but also the fault of her character. As a mother of two daughters I'm not sure Bella is a good role model. Her lacking self-confidence, her avoidance of her deepest feelings, her insincerity with her friends concerns me. It's not what I'm trying to develop in my girls. And still my disappointment at reading the words velvet, stone and marble at least every ten pages through a 500+ page book did put a damper on my hopes for the author. It wasn't enough to stop me though, the plot is intriguing, and at one point I started to just interject my own adjectives to get through it, i.e. rich, silky, tranquil, fluid, glacial, piercing, chilled...because I think these books could've been so much greater if more time and care had been spent in the sentences and paragraphs. Though this still will not be shelved with my all time classic favorites, it is a good book, and it will be shelved. With all of it's flaws it still keeps me peeping out my curtains, hoping to see a beautiful face there that's desperately in love with me.
J.L.Wills

No comments: