Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett


Ken Follet is a thriller writer, this is not his usual forte, and he has made the jump to historical fiction with enough gusto to span the great lakes. This book is monumental in my eyes. It touches on the history of England and goes into detail on the architectural history of the 12th century. Really it's not boring though! The characters are appealing, even the malicient ones. The novel spans three generations but in the end you feel appeasement and justice for all of them, even the ones you loved and buried. This clever, intricate novel takes endurance. Nine hundred and seventy-three pages and truly not a moment of boredom for me. I love architecture and history, so even the lengthy details on the cathedral building fascinated me. This goes right up onto my classical case (If I can fit it on there.) Oh, I know it has only recently been written, but there is something about certain books that I can feel is not just another flash-by, overnighter. This book is a legend, no matter how recently it was written, and Ken Follet has made his way into my absolute favs list.

No comments: