Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore Illustrated by Douglas Gorsline



This is a sacred treasure for me. I had the same print of this story when I was a child and the illlustrations are nostalgic. In fact I kept this book all these years, it's nearly as old as I am...but certainly I don't smell of attic and cardboard boxes. Some of you may know how my little sweet dog, Trixy, loves books as much as I do. Oh yes, especially the old smelly ones. She has devoured many of my sacred texts. Last year she got my copy of The Night Before Christmas, not just a little bit, it was torn and chewed every page. And I was devastated. No doubt I am fanatic over my books, I wasn't surprised at my easy tears and neither was my husband. That was a quiet day, every one gave me my space. So you can only imagine my delight at finding this in print again! I swear an opera singer was holding out a high F when my eyes laid on this little book. It took all I had not to shed a tear right there in the book store.

I gave it as a gift to my eldest daughter, she remembered my grief over losing my copy, and when she opened it she smiled the most beautiful smile and held it to her heart like it was the best thing I had ever given her.

This little $3.99 book is our best treasure of this Christmas 2008.

J.L.Wills

No comments: