Friday, October 24, 2008

German Shepherds for Dummies by D. Caroline Coile, Ph.D.



I have recently brought home a German Shepherd puppy. And like anything I adventure into, I have to read about it. And I'm so glad I did. As a dog owner all my life I have always tended toward the small/medium gentle dogs. If we had a large dog, he lived outside and roamed the country-side as he wished. But now I live in town, and I want a German Shepherd in my house to alert me and protect me and my children. To keep a German Shepherd happy you have to understand the breed. Without giving him work to do, he will make his own work and destroy your house and your happiness. This book enlightened me to the heritage that my puppy has, his history, his inbred desires and is a tool for me to keep my GSD fulfilled, happy, and obedient. Regardless of the humiliation of actually buying a "Dummy" book for the first time, I am impressed, I am knowledgeable now and I am thankfull that I grabbed this book and read it front to back and then a few places over again. I recommend reading up on any breed of dog that you decide to bring home and the "for Dummies" series covers many of them.

jlw

No comments: