Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey



If you haven't noticed I seem to be in the mood for nature books lately. I actually read this a while back but found it when putting up my other books into my science section. I am so fond of this book that I had to pull it out, adore it's pictures and read a few paragraphs. If you don't like science, this would not be the book for you. It is very scientific but to those that have a heart for our world's most magestic animals it reads like a novel. Truly, the courage it was written with, the courage that Dian held within her breast every morning and lived it to the fullest, is encouraging to me. This is a respected read, no one can walk away from it's truth and not feel the same pang of sadness that Dian lived her life to solve. And even today, the Dian Fossey foundation is working miracles for these creatures despite the continued war and poaching and infringment on environment. My daughter was so inspired by this story as I relayed it to her that she adopted an infant gorilla with her birthday money. Truly inspiring, truly sad, and truly the truth.

No comments: